So, I've been trying to learn how to spin for a while now. I've been doing it off and on as I've found time. I've been having an ass of a time getting the yarn to wind onto the bobbin. It seemed like an easy enough thing, you know? The wheel taunted me. I've had a little more time as of late and decided to sit down and really have a go at it. Still to no avail. I posted on knittyboard, and got some helpful advice. I finally did get this. I know I'm a beginner and all, but this seemed like a poor excuse for yarn. Also, I was back at my original problem. It didn't want to feed onto the bobbin anymore. I finally decided to leave it alone last night, and go to bed.

Today I was determined to "get it". I started again with the same problem. I played with the tension some, and then *snap* my drive band broke. Figures, right? So, I went back to knittyboard (man I love these people) and posted about that, and how maybe I'm not meant to be a spinner. I got a couple very encouraging responses, and found I'm not the only drive band breaker around. Also got a suggestion for a replacement. So, I dug out some of my Sugar n Cream cotton (knew I had a reason for not making that dishcloth) and fixed myself up with a driveband. Then I looked at my "yarn" and decided to try something else. After all, I had been trying the same roving since I started. Maybe something fresh would help. I decided to really go for it and use the pencil roving that Laurie sent me (see...two posts previous?).

I did it! I made yarn! AND it's pretty yarn. I'm tickled pink right now. After all that mess this turned out to be not so bad. Now...well, now I have to figure out what I'm doing with it, and how to get it off the bobbin...

I'm going to save that for later. Right now I'm just happy cause I finally made yarn.


Ok, so now what? I have at least a good 7-8 rows left, not to mention grafting. I can't believe I ran out of yarn. The secrecy behind the photo is cause these are supposed to be a surprise, and I don't want to give the surprise away. I'm just at a loss as to what to do.

The options that I can think of would be that I can unravel fairly far up the foot and change the pattern. The pattern I'm working takes a lot of yarn. If I modify it then I'll probably have more yarn at the end. My biggest problem with this is that I've already finished the other sock.

I can use other yarn to complete the toe. I have the exact same yarn in another color, but the socks aren't for me. She sent me very lovely socks that didn't have to be modified, or weird in any way, and it's really not fair of me to do any less.

I can order more yarn. Problems with this include dye lot, and everything that comes with that; not to mention shipping challenges.

I can't believe it.