3.20.2007

So, I've been trying to learn how to spin for a while now. I've been doing it off and on as I've found time. I've been having an ass of a time getting the yarn to wind onto the bobbin. It seemed like an easy enough thing, you know? The wheel taunted me. I've had a little more time as of late and decided to sit down and really have a go at it. Still to no avail. I posted on knittyboard, and got some helpful advice. I finally did get this. I know I'm a beginner and all, but this seemed like a poor excuse for yarn. Also, I was back at my original problem. It didn't want to feed onto the bobbin anymore. I finally decided to leave it alone last night, and go to bed.

Today I was determined to "get it". I started again with the same problem. I played with the tension some, and then *snap* my drive band broke. Figures, right? So, I went back to knittyboard (man I love these people) and posted about that, and how maybe I'm not meant to be a spinner. I got a couple very encouraging responses, and found I'm not the only drive band breaker around. Also got a suggestion for a replacement. So, I dug out some of my Sugar n Cream cotton (knew I had a reason for not making that dishcloth) and fixed myself up with a driveband. Then I looked at my "yarn" and decided to try something else. After all, I had been trying the same roving since I started. Maybe something fresh would help. I decided to really go for it and use the pencil roving that Laurie sent me (see...two posts previous?).

I did it! I made yarn! AND it's pretty yarn. I'm tickled pink right now. After all that mess this turned out to be not so bad. Now...well, now I have to figure out what I'm doing with it, and how to get it off the bobbin...

I'm going to save that for later. Right now I'm just happy cause I finally made yarn.

2 comments:

Siobhan said...

When you're ready to take off the bobbin, just loosen the tension so you have slack in the drive band. You should be able to lift the whorl-side off, and then lower it enough to slip the brake band off your bobbin. Voila!

DeltaDawn said...

Yay! Congrats! Looks pretty yarny to me. Gotta love the knittyboarders and the aha moments. Happy spinning!